Friday, June 17, 2016

Pressure vessel Finite Element Analysis using Calculix and Salome 7 - Part 1 (Geometry)

     One of the reasons I made this blog is to keep a record about what I'm doing so in the future I can come back and see details, that with time I can end up forgetting. This Video is about Finite Element Analysis using only free software, some of them open-source. The softwares I'm talking about are Calculix and Salome 7.

    The test model I'm simulating is internal pressure of an aluminum can, and its effects. An aluminum can is a good  because its commonly available, cheap. So it's relatively easy to get some results experimentally to match with the calculations. Other good reason is that the analytical models of pressure vessel are very straightforward, good for solid mechanics students. 

     In the picture we can see that the can I'm using is a funky one, because I attached a tire valve stem, so I can load and unload the can with air pressure, and use a tire pressure gauge to read a ball park value of the inside pressure in the can. 


     I also have a strain gage bonded in the can, making possible some extensometry studies, and perhaps numerical values of the strain related to the internal pressure

  

      Here we can see an arduino setup to read the Wheatstone bridge.  

     
     The last picture is the results for displacements that returned from calculix. The numerical answer has shown a good agreement with analytical calculations.  


    Finally, the video: 


No comments:

Post a Comment